Need help making a decision? E-mail me at sincerelykimmie@hotmail.com for a free opinion because sometimes, strangers give the best advice.

Monday, May 14, 2012

Flossing Feud

Q: Dear Kimmie,
My husband and I disagree. I think you should floss your teeth after you brush and he says your supposed to floss before you brush. Please tell me I am right.
Sincerely, Shelly



 A: Okay Shelly, I happen to be on your side of this debate, but I am probably not your best ally in a dental hygeine battle because I only floss like every 3 years. (Although, as you can see from the picture, I do have pretty nice teeth.)
When I was little my mom told me that flossing was a conspiracy created by dentists to loosen your teeth away from your gums so you would have to visit them more often and eventually pay for dentures. Needless to say, I never really made flossing a habit, but when I do floss nowadays, it is always after I brush my teeth.
However, I didn't want to leave you with only the opinion of a girl who just had her first root canal, so I checked out some dental websites...
Some say that by flossing before brushing, you clear space between the teeth to allow flouride to penetrate and toughen all surfaces of the teeth.
The opposing dental opinions said that flossing before brushing clears space between the teeth, which allows plaque from dirty teeth between the teeth and under the gum during the process of brushing.
Both opinions recommend brushing, flossing and then re-brushing, to which I say, "Get a life! Who has that kind of time?"
So, if I had to choose a side, I would say whoever, out of the two of you, has the least cavities wins! Problem Solved!
Oh, and to award you for your impeccable oral hygeine and to thank you for inspiring me to floss more regularly, I found you a printable coupon for dental floss. Please enjoy!
http://www.gumbrand.com/toothbrush-coupons/dental-floss-coupons/

Sincerely, Kimmie

5 comments:

  1. Are you kidding me? Everyone knows you have to floss BEFORE you brush. Why would you want those nasty's floating around after your teeth are all clean. My dental hygienist agrees!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No way jose! The person with the most cavities should win, because they are the ones that have the most dental experience. Adam has way less dental work than I do, but he NEVER flosses. Love you Kimmie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always like getting the gunk out of my teeth by flossing first, then brushing it away and having the wonderful clean feeling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kimmie. This blog just made my week!!! This is amazing! haha Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a good question. I have never heard of anyone flossing before but it is a very valid point. I don't like the way my teeth feel after I floss so I always have to use a mouthwash to get the flossing taste out of my mouth. Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete