Need help making a decision? E-mail me at sincerelykimmie@hotmail.com for a free opinion because sometimes, strangers give the best advice.

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mama Drama!

Q: Dear Kimmie,
Every year, my in-laws come to town and stay with us over Mother's Day weekend, which means I have to do all of the cooking, cleaning and hosting.
It's not a relaxing, restful Mother's Day for me when they're here, and I would really like to have my own Mother's Day for once. I've mentioned this to my husband, but he doesn't think it's a big deal and tells me that he's not going to tell his parents that they can't come. What should I do?
-Name Witheld
A: Wow! This sound like a really big problem that's not going away anytime soon. You guys should probably just get a divorce.
Just Kidding!!!!!
You have to make your hubby realize that Mother's Day is a big deal and that you want it to be about you. It's your day to relax, and if entertaining out of town visitors isn't the way you choose to unwind, then your hubby needs to realize and accept that.
Making your Mother's Day special should be his first priority. Be upfront with him by telling him what it would take to make that happen.
His mother is still, no doubt, very important and deserves to be recognized, but she can come celebrate the weekend before, or the weekend after. Certainly that's a nice comprimise.
However, if that doesn't work, and he still insists on having his parents visit over Mother's Day, then just invite your parents too and make all of the grandparents sleep in the same bed, like on Charlie & the Chocolate Factory. Then you won't have to worry about any parents inviting themselves to stay with you for any holidays ever again. Problem Solved!
Sincerely, Kimmie

4 comments:

  1. You could avoid the fallout with the in-laws by planning your own mother's day trip. Then you'll be gone (too bad!) and not entertaining anyone AND having someone else worry about the mess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The joint bed idea is pure genius!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh Kimmie! That's genius! Where do you come up with this miraculous advice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha. You just made me laugh out loud with the joint bed idea! :)

    ReplyDelete